UC Berkeley 2010
From March 29th – May 28th 2010 I visited Northern California as part of my PhD-project :-)
I stayed at UC Berkeley (UCB) due to a scholarship granted by the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) at UCB and the Danish Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation (DASTI).
Sather Tower – aka The Campanile at UCB.
Professor Ruth Tringham from the Dept. of Anthropology was my faculty host and besides working at UCB I also visited other universities in the area. I first discovered Professor Tringham back in 2008 when I read an article she had written together with colleagues Ashley and Mills on remediating places, and I had the opportunity of meeting her f2f in SF last August when I was attending the SLCC’09. Tringham and colleagues also have been using SL and meet regularly with their students on their research island, Okapi.
My office was in the Anthropology House on 2224 Piedmont Ave.
Besides studying the concepts of remediation and place, I participated in a variety of activities during my stay – below is a list of key activities.
Activities; presentations, seminars, conferences etc.
- May 14th – May 21st: UCB and Stanford University. Visitors from 5 Danish Universities exploring the future of (e-)learning together with researchers from UCB and Stanford + meeting with Professor Ruth Tringham for my colleagues from e-Learning Lab
- May 7th: Stanford University, the 17th AEC Global Teamwork Event – 5PBL Lab.
- May 6th: BCNM Round Table
- May 4th and 5th: UCB and Stanford University. Visitors, Martin Bayer (Head of Dept. of Curriculum Research) and Leif G. Holm (IT Consultant) from The Danish School of Education, Aarhus University.
- May 4th: UCB, SL event with Professor Ruth Tringham & PhD Candidate Colleen L. Morgan, Dept. of Anthropology
- April 30th – May 1st: UCB Spaces of History/History of Spaces – 2 day on campus conference
- April 29th: UCB Workshop with Professor of Architecture, Yehuda Kalay and his students presenting their work on designing a virtual museeum in SL
- April 28th: UCB Bag lunch at Dept. of Anthropology
- April 26th: BCNM campus party
- April 21st: UCB, Professor Ruth Tringham & PhD Candidate Colleen L. Morgan, Dept. of Anthropology, presented their research and teaching activities on Okapi Island at the Architecture Research Colloquium
- April 15th: Presentation at (BCNM) Berkeley Center for New Media – I gave a short introduction to my PhD project focusing on Remediation of People, Places and Practices in a PBL context
- April 7th: UCB Bag lunch at Dept. of Anthropology